Rangers focusing on pitchers on Day 3 of draft
The Rangers selected a pitcher with 11 of 12 picks from Rounds 18-29, with 25th-round pick Wabash Valley College shortstop Gabriel Roa being the only position player taken by the Rangers during that stretch. They took Purdue outfielder Barrett Sarreto in the 30th round with the No. 936 overall pick.
After taking high school players with each of their first five picks, the Rangers have selected only five high school players since the third round began, three of them today. Outfielders Kwinton Smith and Jameis Winston were taken by the Rangers in the 14th and 15th rounds Tuesday and have both committed to play college football — Smith at South Carolina as a wide receiver and Winston as a quarterback at Florida State. Catcher Charles Moorman, along with pitchers Jacob Lemoine and Chase Mullins, round out the 10 high school players selected by the Rangers in this year’s draft.
Eight of the Rangers’ first 20 picks in this year’s draft were pitchers, seven of them being right-handed and six of them being taken consecutively from Rounds 8-13. Here is a list of the Rangers’ selections fromd Rounds 21-30:
- Round 21 (666th overall): RHP Jacob Lemoine, Bridge City HS (Texas), 6-4, 195 pounds.
- Round 22 (696): RHP Travis Dean, Kennesaw State (Ga.), 6-6, 220.
- Round 23 (726): RHP Coby Cowgill, Virginia Military Institute, 6-1, 200.
- Round 24 (756): LHP Chase Mullins, Bourbon County HS (Ky.), 6-6, 230.
- Round 25 (786): SS Gabriel Roa, Wabash Valley College (Ill.), 5-10, 180.
- Round 26 (816): LHP Austen Thraikill, St. Petersburg College (Fla.), 6-4, 210.
- Round 27 (846): RHP Ryan Bores, Kent State (Ohio), 6-3, 190.
- Round 28 (876): LHP Joseph Burns, Samford (Ala.), 6-0, 200.
- Round 29 (906): RHP Brandon Kuter, George Mason (Va.), 6-7, 220.
- Round 30 (936): OF Barrett Serrato, Purdue (Ind.), 6-2 185.