The Morning Nine and more photos from Brad Newton
As always, the photos of Brad Newton are greatly appreciated
1. Yu Darvish’s first start of the Spring is Wednesday against the Padres. He is scheduled to pitch two innings and those two innings can be heard on KESN 103.3. The rest of the game can be heard on www.texasrangers.com.
2. Pitching coach Mike Maddux on reliever Joe Nathan: “This guy is a leader. He’s a standup guy and he leads by example.
3. One scout on third baseman Mike Olt: “This guy is going to be in the big leagues. It’s just a matter if he’s an All-Star or just an everyday player.”
4. Darvish on pitching in the Arizona desert, “A lot of people say in Arizona the air is dry and the balls tend not to move too much. But since I have been throwing, I’ve seen good movement with my pitches. I haven’t thought about that too much.”
5. Brad Hawpe, who has missed three days with a sore hamstring, is taking batting practice today and catcher Yorvit Torrealba has returned after missing two days with a virus. He will have a low intensity workout today.
6. Catcher Dusty Brown, who spent ten years in the Red Sox organization, on Jason Varitek: “Just all the years I was over there, being around him and watching him work, I absorbed a lot of stuff he did. He was definitely a big help as far as my development as a catcher…the work he did in preparing for the game, the approach he took in calling the game, learning hitters, his work ethic.”
7. Scott Boras told Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors, that a lot of teams are in play for left-handed reliever Michael Gonzalez. Said Boras, “A lot of it has to do with situational needs and clubs. In these markets, sometimes late doesn’t mean demand, it just means choice.”
8. The Rangers are having their annual meeting with Major League Baseball security this morning.
9. Today is the birthday of Wee Willie Keeler and Jose Oliva. Both had famous quotes about hitting…
Keeler: “Hit ‘em where they ain’t.”
Oliva: “I could hit the devil himself.”
Olivia, the former Rangers infielder who was traded to the Braves for Charlie Leibrandt, had a career batting average of .178.
Ian Kinsler, Mike Napoli, Michael Young and Josh Hamilton model the throwback uniforms the Rangers are going to wear this season. Plus Yu Darvish pitching on Friday.