Monday Morning Manager…Trade Deadline Approaches
So the Rangers went down quietly on Sunday to Brett Cecil but the Newberg crowd had another big night at the Ballpark. Jamey will probably share the details but early kudos on another successful endeavor of a great tradition that raised significant money for a worth cause.
Rangers general manager Jon Daniels did a Q&A with them and – although quite illuminating in other areas – apparently wasn’t too forthcoming on trade discussions, especially when they asked about Carlos Beltran.
Apparently he was also without answer when somebody – referring to Bead Pitt as Billy Beane in Moneyball – asked who would play him in a movie. Kevin Spacey comes to mind with Robert Redford in a supporting role as…
Never mind. The deadline is approaching and Daniels is staying busy with that, admitting that the bullpen is still the No. 1 priority. Won’t touch Beltran questions other than allowing that the Rangers are looking at all possibilities, which is what is expected of him in just about any situation.
Of course teams that are selling should also call Daniels because the Rangers farm system remains one of the best in the game, even after the many trades made last summer. A lot of breakout seasons in the works down there: Robbie Erlin, Joe Wieland, Tommy Mendonca, Neil Ramirez, et. al.
Even Eric Hurley is starting to reassert himself again.
1. Would you trade Martin Perez to the Mets for Carlos Beltran?
2. Would you trade either Robbie Erlin or Joe Wieland to the Padres for Heath Bell?
3. Would either Hiroki Kuroda or Ubaldo Jimenez be an upgrade for the Rangers rotation?
4. What is your take on Chris Davis at this point?
5. What do you think the Rangers highest priority should this week?