Cliff Lee…the Morning After
On the whole, I’d rather be in Philadelphia
At the stage in life where other men prosper, I’m reduced to living in Philadelphia
Tuesday morning as Cliff Lee presumably gets ready to take a physical for the Phillies…
* The last pitcher to turn down a huge contract offer from the Rangers was Barry Zito.
* Neftali Feliz should be in the Rangers rotation. It’s going to happen at some point. He may have more talent than Cliff Lee, Zack Greinke, Matt Garza and whoever else is out there. It’s time to find out, the sooner the better.
* Don’t look for the Rangers to sign Rafael Soriano as a closer. They really aren’t in to spending big money on a closer. Maybe circumstances alter cases. But that’s been the Rangers philosophy lately.
* Sign Kerry Wood. Between Wood, Alexi Ogando, Frank Francisco and maybe Mark Lowe, the Rangers should be all right at closer.
* Some Rangers officials believe Ogando should be the one that goes into the rotation. Evan Grant of the East Grand Prairie newspaper had a well-reasoned look at that a few weeks ago.
* Zack Greinke for outfielder Engel Beltre, shortstop Jurickson Profar and pitcher Martin Perez and/or Tanner Scheppers? No. Repeat. No.
* Adrian Beltre. Have the Rangers talked about it? Yes. They have talked about everything. Have they moved aggressively? No. They don’t like the amount of money that it would take to sign him, not to mention the turmoil it obviously might cause with Michael Young.
* Everybody was wondering what would determine where Cliff Lee would pitch next year. Maybe the Eagles beating the Cowboys on Sunday pushed him toward Pennsylvania. Maybe he thinks the Eagles have a better future than the Cowboys.
* Certainly state income tax wasn’t a factor. Pennsylvania has one. So does New Jersey and Delaware if Lee wants to live across the river. Pennsylvania’s is only 3.07 percent though.
* Guess being close to Texas wasn’t as important as people thought. Of course, you get more airline miles from Little Rock to Philadelphia than to Dallas. Driving? That five-hour drive down I-30 would have grown old pretty quick.
* Maybe he saw the movie “The Deerhunter.” Great deer hunting in Pennsylvania up in the Poconos. Only problem is those great outdoor deer hunting scenes in the movie were filmed in the state of Washington, which has no state income tax either.
* Lee definitely wasn’t in this for the last dollar. That was suggested at some point during the process that he would go to the highest bidder. In that regard, the Phillies were last. But as that famous baseball writer St. Matthew wrote: “The last shall be first.”
* Maybe it was the heat.
* San Francisco Giants: Tim Lincecum, Matt Cain, Jonathan Sanchez. Madison Bumgarner, Barry Zito; Philadelphia Phillies: Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt, Cole Hamels, Joe Blanton or Kyle Kendrick. Texas Rangers: C.J. Wilson, Colby Lewis, Tommy Hunter, Derek Holland, Neftali Feliz.
“Yes, facts don’t mean a thing, do they? What you want to believe, that’s the only truth!”
Eugene O’Neill…Long Day’s Journey Into Night.