Of Cliff Lee, bankruptcy and Danny Masterson
Thursday morning and here’s what’s happening with the Major League Baseball team in Arlington…
* Tyler Morris could be released from the hospital today. The Crawford firefighter suffered a fractured skull and ankle in his terrifying fall from the club level at the Ballpark in Arlington on Tuesday night. But it appears he is going to be okay and he has the baseball he was trying to snag when he took his tumble over the ledge.
Amazing things those foul balls. My dad caught a foul ball in the air at a Montgomery Rebels game back in 1975 and it remained one of his most prized possessions. But heed the words of the immortal Sgt. Esterhaus from Hill Street Blues: “Let’s be careful out there.”
* Round the clock mediation sessions going on in U.S. bankruptcy court in Fort Worth concerning the sale of the Rangers. Doesn’t seem to be going too well for the Greenberg-Ryan group. Apparently the club is headed for a July 16 auction and word is Houston businessman Jim Crane is still very much a player in all this.
Major League Baseball continues to assert the right of final approval on whoever buys the Rangers and that remains Greenberg-Ryan’s best hope. But it is definitely not the sure thing it once was and this is highly unlikely to get done before July 31.
* That’s not stopping general manager Jon Daniels. He is working hard trying to acquire Cliff Lee from the Mariners. Word around baseball is the Rangers, because of their deep farm system, have the best chance of putting together a package that would satisfy the Mariners as long as Martin Perez and Tanner Scheppers aren’t included.
The financial constraints are still there but that’s not stopping the Rangers. Apparently they have some money tucked away for such a contingency. Daniels is definitely fully engaged in this process.
* Michael Young has dropped to fourth place in the Final Vote. Apparently this is going down to the wire between Red Sox first baseman Kevin Youkilis and Yankees outfielder Nick Swisher. Big markets, big players.
Youkilis was endorsed by Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry while Swisher apparently has the support of New York mayor Michael Bloomberg, actress Jessica Alba and actor Danny Masterson.
Which begs the question. Who is Danny Masterson??? Never heard of him. Should I?
Heard of Jason Whitten, who is endorsing Young. Wonder who Vernon Davis is endorsing?
Remember though Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez has been dealing with hip issues. If he opts out of the All-Star Game – no word if that’s an actual possibility – Young could still slip in there for a seventh consecutive year.
* Young did have one thing to say Wednesday. He thinks LeBron James is going to the Knicks. Remember Young predicted the NBA Finals would unfold exactly as it did. He hasn’t made a call on Netherlands-Spain but we’re pulling for the plucky Dutch.
Danny Masterson?? Somebody is joking right?
* Oh yes. By the way…
The Rangers are 51/2 games ahead of the Angels in the American League West.
But who has time for fun and games with everything else going on with this team.