Monday Morning Manager…what we know about the Rangers
Today is the Feast of Saint Aldobrandesca. She was an Italian Christian saint, widow, hermit, ascetic, hospital nurse and miracle worker. While ministering to the sick, she performed several miraculous cures.
Maybe the Rangers should adopt her as her as their patron saint.
So it’s been 18 games for the Rangers. That’s one-ninth of a season. Multiply that by nine and the Rangers are on pace for 72 wins, 27 of them from Colby Lewis. Plus 63 home runs and 153 RBI from Nelson Cruz and a club-record 126 walks from Elvis Andrus.
Rich Harden’s 162 walks sets another record.
We know that won’t happen, right? So what do we know? Well…
* Matt Treanor is the Rangers best option at catcher. Taylor Teagarden is probably headed to Triple A when the Rangers feel Jarrod Saltalamacchia is ready. Saltalamacchia is not ready because he still feels something in his back and shoulders. Depending on who you believe, it’s something he can work through or something that’s keeping him from throwing the ball well. Or he’ll never be able to throw well.
* Somebody said something in Spring Training about Kevin Richardson but he was waved off as an idiot.
* Ian Kinsler should be back this week. The Rangers will have to decide whether to keep Joaquin Arias, who is hitting .341, or Andres Blanco, who is hitting .222 but can play shortstop if needed. The manager clearly loves Blanco but Arias would have to clear waivers. Actually, so would Blanco.
* Once upon a time the Rangers got Nelson Cruz through waivers.
* Elvis Andrus is not only the Rangers best defensive player but also leading them in on-base percentage. Somewhere agent Scott Boras is smiling and counting the days.
* Matt Harrison has had two good starts and one bad start. Already speculation that Derek Holland should take his spot in rotation. Only on the Rangers.
* Holland is not going to take Harden’s spot. At least not yet. Unless somebody decides Harden needs to go on the disabled list. But he’s not hurt. At least not yet.
* For this bullpen to be good, Chris Ray has to be good. Otherwise Neftali Feliz might be cooked by the All-Star game. Along with Doug Mathis and Dustin Nippert if the rotation isn’t better.
* Julio Borbon is 7-for-21 in the No. 9 spot. Vladimir Guerrero really likes the Ballpark in Arlington.
* Guess no more mailbag questions about Justin Smoak and Chris Davis.
* Rangers sale? The club is either going to be sold to Chuck Greenberg or Jim Crane, headed for bankruptcy, taken over by Major League Baseball or seized by Monarch Alternative Capital. All other scenarios have been discounted, so to speak.
* As the Sundance Kid told Butch Cassidy on the ledge overlooking the canyon, “They could surrender to us, but I wouldn’t count on it.”
Where is Saint Aldobrandesca when you need her?
1. Do you see a need for Derek Holland in the Rangers rotation and in what spot?
2. What’s your take on Rich Harden?
3. Are you concerned about Scott Feldman?
4. Are you frustrated by what’s going on with the Rangers sale?
5. What is your biggest concern with the Rangers and how do you address it?