Monday Morning Manager…Hall of Fame vote
All right…have the Hall of Fame balloting sitting in front of me, one of the privileges of doing this for a long, long time. Too long, in fact, and where is that winning lottery ticket.
We have a list of 26 names on here, one more than you need for an actual Major League team. Actually you could have a great Major League team here – no kidding, it’s a Hall of Fame ballot – but there are no catchers.
Well actually there is Todd Zeile and Dale Murphy but they were switched early in their careers from behind the plate.
Two things are true about the Hall of Fame ballot….
1. Everybody has their opinion who should be in the Hall of Fame
2. If somebody who doesn’t have a ballot disagrees with your vote, he’ll call you everything from a complete idiot to a fat old sports writer who knows nothing about baseball. Or sabremetrics.
My opinion? Baseball writers do a much better job than football writers. Cooperstown may be in upstate New York but it’s not stuffed with a bunch of AFL players who had no chance to play in the NFL.
The biggest drama concerning the NFL Hall of Fame every year is what ex-Buffalo Bill is going to get inducted.
Billy Shaw? What about Jerry Kramer?
Still, the Baseball Hall of Fame will never been complete without Ron Santo? That’s just ridiculous. Anybody who doesn’t think Ron Santo is a Hall of Famer is a complete idiot.
All right, here is your chance to be called a complete idiot!! Sorry, no Buffalo Bills on this ballot but no doubt Elbert Dubenion will soon be on his way to Canton…
1. I am voting for Mark McGwire….are you?
2. Starting pitchers…Jack Morris and/or Bert Blyleven? Yeah or nay?
3. The middle infielders…Roberto Alomar and Barry Larkin are new this year. Alan Trammell is a holdover. Any of those appeal to you?
4. Big bats…Edgar Martinez and Fred McGriff are new. Don Mattingly and Dave Parker are holdovers. Which ones do you vote for?
5. The outfielders…Tim Raines, Ellis Burks, Dale Murphy and Andre Dawson. More on Dawson later. Any outfielders on your vote?
6 Lee Smith: He set an all-time record for saves. Now he is third behind Mariano Rivera and Trevor Hoffman.
7. Ex-Rangers: Harold Baines, David Segui, Todd Zeile, Andres Galarraga.
8. The rest of the ballot: Kevin Appier, Pat Hentgen, Mike Jackson, Eric Karros, Ray Lankford, Shane Reynolds, Robin Ventura.
I will reveal my ballot later this week to give people an opportunity to call me a complete idiot…
But anybody who doesn’t have Andre Dawson on their ballot is a complete idiot…