Cruz day-to-day, Millwood on schedule
* Rangers outfielder Nelson Cruz is out of the lineup on Tuesday night with a sprained left ankle. The Rangers have not considered putting him on the disabled list. Cruz said the ankle is better after turning it on the final play of Monday’s game against the Athletics.
* Kevin Millwood, sidelined with a strained left gluteus muscle, threw a bullpen on Monday and said Tuesday it went “better.” Millwood anticipates returning to the rotation on Saturday against the Angels.
* Manager Ron Washington said he expects Dustin Nippert to go to the bullpen. He threw five scoreless innings in a spot start on Monday but will be back in the bullpen when he’s rested and ready to pitch again.
* Washington on Neftali Feliz: “The Minor League guys did a great job with this kid. We said he needs to improve his seconddary pitches and they did just that. We have something to look forward to if that delivery stays free and easy and he continues to find the strike zone. He did everything he had to do to come up here and now he’s got the opportunity.”
* The Rangers had won 99 straight games when they led after eight innings before they lost 3-2 on Monday night. The Rangers led 2-0 into the ninth but the Athletics scored three in the bottom of the inning to win it.
* The Rangers 3.32 ERA since the All-Star break is the best in the American League.
* Feliz was the first pitcher to strike out the first four hitters he faced as a Major League pitcher since Dodgers pitcher Pete Richert struck out six in a row on April 12, 1962 against the Reds. He struck out Vada Pinson, Frank Robinson, Gordy Coleman, Wally Post, Johnny Edwards and Tommy Harper.