Kinsler to get time off; Hernandez released
From the Ballpark…where it is 92 degrees..
* Manager Ron Washington wants to give Ian Kinsler some time off in the second half. Washington pushed Kinsler hard in the first half and he hit .138 in his last 14 games. He also hit .223 since hitting for the cycle on April 15.
“I’m going to have to make sure I get him some extra time off,” Washington said.
* To help do that, the Rangers may bring up infielder Esteban German from Triple A Oklahoma City next week. German would have to be placed on the 40-man roster but he is hitting .319 with 27 stolen bases and can play multiple positions.
* The Rangers have released pitcher Orlando Hernandez from Triple A Oklahoma. He had a 2.45 ERA, opponents were hitting .121 off him and he had struck out 12 in 11 innings over eight appearances.
* Matt Harrison is going to have a slow return from the disabled list. The plan is for him to throw 65 pitches in the bullpen on Sunday, take two days off and then begin a medical rehabilitation assignment on Wednesday. But he’ll only throw two innings and slowly build up. He won’t be back in the rotation until sometime in August.
* Basically I’m starting over,” Harrison said.
* David Murphy has a sprained ring finger on his right hand but Washington said he expects him back in the lineup on Saturday.