Friday Happy Hour at the Elysian Fields Bar & Grill
Welcome to the Elysian Fields Bar & Grill, where we drink a toast to Omar Vizquel on his 42nd birthday, making him the oldest position player in Rangers history.
* Jon Daniels on Vicente Padilla: “Padilla’s been healthy but as you know he’s a guy that relies on the big fastball, kind of late movement in the zone. There’s no physical issues. There’s no mechanical issues. We think it’s just a little bit of a kind of oddly timed late spring dead arm period. You know most guys go through it in the middle of spring. We’re kind of hoping Vinnie is just going through it here at the end. His velocity has been down a tick or so, but I think the big thing is he feels healthy and our medical staff and Mike Maddux are comfortable with that.”
* Wondering about David Murpy? Jim Driscoll, who was a second baseman, was 0-for-18 with the Rangers in 1972. That’s the most at-bats by a Ranger in one entire season without getting a hit.
* Chad Kreuter’s 0-for-14 in April, 1989 is the most at-bats by a Ranger in the opening month without a hit. Vic Harris was 0-for-24 in July 1972. That’s the most at-bats by a Ranger in any month without a hit.
* In 1969, outfielder Richie Schienblum went 0-for-31 for April. That’s the worst of any month that we can find in the past 50 years. Hey, but Craig Biggio was 0-for-17 in April of 1995. He only played five games but…
* You know that if a Rangers player reaches first base tonight against the Orioles, he’ll be standing right in the middle of where Babe Ruth’s adopted father’s bar used to stand.
* Going into Kevin Millwood’s start on Thursday, Rangers pitchers had walked six batters after getting ahead 0-2 in the count. The Angels and Athletics had done that just twice. The Mariners had done that four times. The Nationals, as bad as they are, had done it just three times.
* Scott Feldman on his worst job ever: “Working for Budweiser. The driver and I would go around unloading kegs at restaurants. Yeah, I didn’t like that. I had to get up at four in the morning. So I didn’t like that too much.”
* Jim Thome has the most walk-off home runs of any active player. He has 11. Vladimir Guerrero and David Ortiz have nine.
* Michael Young’s favorite superhero? The Incredible Hulk: “I watched the TV show when I was a kid. Every time he turned green and get mad, I’d hide behind the couch. I watched, like, the 70s version, the old, old version. It was a pretty sweet show.”
* Just for the heck of it: Jack Daugherty.
* Harper Lee – who wrote To Kill a Mockingbird – is a big baseball fan.
* Milton Bradley to Cubs MLB.Com writer Carrie Muskat: “It’s been frustrating. You come in here and all [the media] want to talk about is how often you get hurt and your attitude and everything. I’ve given them an example right off the bat. I just don’t feel like getting caught up in all the negativity. I’m a positive person, an upbeat person. I’m trying to focus on what I’m trying to do here. My teammates are behind me and the more reporters get in my face, the more I talk, the more things get written the way I don’t say them or they’re taken out of context, and that’s when you lose teammates and you lose fans. The best strategy for me has always been to not say anything.”
* On this date in 1901, the Chicago White Sox defeated Cleveland, 8-2. There were 14,000 fans at the Chicago Cricket Club and the game lasts 90 minutes. It is the first American League game ever.
* Orioles pitcher Adam Eaton after getting his first victory since July on Thursday: “I’m not going to panic. We are professional athletes, [and] there is some stress. It’s inherent like that, but to stress out and lose my hair about it, that’s not going to happen. I’m very confident in my abilities and what I’m capable of doing, and every time I go out there I feel like I’m going to be able to perform like I did tonight.”
* Hall of Famer Edd Roush: “One of my chores was to milk the cows, which meant getting up before dawn and going out to that cold dark barn. I didn’t expect to make it all the way to the big leagues, I just had to get away from them damn cows.”