What we know so far…second edition
Still early in Spring Training but never too early to come to some conclusions, near conclusions, first impressions and other dubious opinions…
* Frank Francisco and C.J. Wilson will be in the Rangers bullpen on Opening Day. Everything else is wide, wide open. Right now Warner Madrigal and Josh Rupe look as good as anybody.
* Key to the Rangers pitching? Health, sure. But also the breaking ball. This is a breaking ball-challenged pitching staff. There are guys going back and forth from the slider to the curve and back again. Some may even try a screwball.
* If Joaquin Arias doesn’t hurt his shoulder two years ago, the guess here is Elvis Andrus would still be with the Braves.
* Maybe Andruw Jones was Much Ado About Nothing. Or a Midsummer Night’s Dream.
* Marlon Byrd’s knee seems less of an issue than it was a couple of weeks ago.
* Derek Holland and Neftali Feliz passed up Omar Poveda last year on the prospect depth chart. Don’t even think that race is over yet. Poveda has been the most impressive of the young pitchers in this camp. He has the best breaking ball of any of them.
* Nice of Milton Bradley to drop by last year but the Rangers are still going to score runs this season despite his departure. Right now the biggest key to the Rangers offense is a solid-to-breakthrough year for Nelson Cruz. The Rangers need that right-handed bat in the middle of the lefties.
* Still don’t know who put the voodoo curse on Brandon McCarthy.