Friday Happy Hour at the Elysian Fields Bar & Grill
Welcome to the Elysian Fields Bar & Grill, where the only thing your cousin buys is another round.
* Free agent left-handed reliever Joe Beimel turned down a Minor League contract with the Rangers about a month ago.
* Former outfielder Rusty Greer on the 2001-03 Rangers and Alex Rodriguez’s steroid use: “I don’t think the whole organization is being painted fairly. Speaking for myself, not everyone should be condemned for the actions of a few. I don’t think the majority of the guys I played with should be painted in a bad light. I may have had my head in the sand…but I was completely unaware of anything that may have gone on.”
* Rangers pitcher C.J. Wilson on catchers Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Taylor Teagarden: “I’m really enjoying working with Salty and Teagarden. Personally I feel I get along well with them. They provide good feedback on pitching. They really study things and doing research. I think it will be awesome to have those guys handling our pitching staff.”
* Pitching coach Mike Maddux on what stands out about his pitching staff: “They’re people. These are guys that play baseball. They are like a big family, a big picnic.”
* Former pitching coach Mark Connor, rehired as a pitching consultant, said he’ll be in Spring Training in mid-March when the Minor Leaguers report but former Rangers manager Jerry Narron is not working with the club this year as a consultant.*
* In 1929, the Red Sox announced they were playing their Sunday games at Braves Field. Fenway Park was too close to a church. Prior to that, the Red Sox did not play on Sunday.
Manager Ron Washington on Astros shortstop Miguel Tejada, his former pupil with the Athletics who is caught up in the whole steroids scandal: “I never thought Miguel would be involved with that. I saw first-hand his work ethic and the time he put into it. I never suspected him.”
* Angels manager Mike Scioscia on Torii Hunter’s leadership: “It took Torii about four seconds to fit into the clubhouse and be a leader. He’s really a light — just a good person, good with all his teammates. The guys can rally around him. There’s an energy there.”
* Kevin Millwood on Andruw Jones: “You could stand behind him in batting practice and watch the jumps he would get on balls, it was amazing.”
* Just for the heck of it: Kevin Reimer.
* You know of course that Ian Kinsler’s .833 OPS (on-base and slugging) is the highest by an American League second baseman over the past three years combined.
* Mariners pitcher Jarrod Washburn on the return of Ken Griffey Jr. to Seattle: “I think he can bring some leadership for the younger guys. Obviously, he brings a presence to the lineup. But maybe the biggest thing he can bring is some excitement to the ballpark. I don’t think any of us in here are naïve enough to think we are going to be packing the stands early on, but he will help bring people to the ballpark and help create an atmosphere that is more conducive to winning. And it will be more fun.”
* Jason Giambi on his return to Oakland: “It’s like you went away to college and came back. I’m having the time of my life again.”