Friday Happy Hour at the Elysian Fields Bar & Grill
* Jim Reeves, after the Mets won Game 6 of the 1986 World Series when Bill Buckner let the ball get through his legs, wrote the greatest single lead in the history of baseball writing in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex: “Hold on to your hats and grab your seats, the Red Sox just reached for their throats. The World Series is going to a seventh game.”
* Rangers pitchers have allowed 21 walks with the bases loaded this year, tying the club record set by the 1987 Bobby Witt-led team.
Joaquin Benoit, despite two nice seventh inning performances on Wednesday and Thursday: “I’m not feeling like I’m 100 percent. I like the way they’re using me to get one out or one inning once in a while. I’m just trying to finish the season, get some rest and come back ready to go in Spring Training. Next season will be a little different.”
* Ian Kinsler, on the disabled list with a hernia, after swinging the bat for the first time on Thursday, “I can go up there and hit. I just can’t get out of the box.”
* LaDamian Tomlinson was the first pick in the Rangers Football Fantasy Draft. Brandon McCarthy took him.
* Rangers pitchers use the football in their conditioning drills. Not to throw it. Strength and conditioning Jose Vazquez has his pitchers run pass patterns in the outfield and throws them passes. Kevin Millwood would make a great tight end.
* You knew of course that the most lasting legacy of the Giants former home of Candlestick Park is it was the site of the last Beatles concert. Yes, 42 years ago today.
* The Rangers are third in the American League in stolen base percentage. They are 67-for-87. That’s a 77 percent success rate. Oakland is 78 percent and Boston is 77.8.
* Nelson Cruz has been named the Pacific Coast League Most Valuable Player but knows he would not have won it if he had been called up earlier in the season. Said Cruz, “I don’t care about that anymore. I’m here. That’s all that matters.”
* Personal opinion: If the Rangers start an outfield of Brandon Boggs in left, Josh Hamilton in center and Nelson Cruz in right, it is the best three throwing arms in one outfield in club history. Exchange Marlon Byrd for Boggs and you get the same result.
* Mark Teixeira has played 27 games for the Angels since being traded by the Braves. He’s hitting .378 with 21 runs scored, eight home runs and 23 RBI. Multiply by six. You do the math and you get his numbers for a full season.
* Just for the heck of it: Ken Hill
* Gary Matthews Jr. has started eight games for the Angels in August. They have played 25.
* The Rangers still have until Sunday to make a trade but general manager Jon Daniels said, “I haven’t received any calls from somebody initiating a conversation. We don’t have any conversations going on.”
* Mariner’s pitcher R.A. Dickey: “Becoming a knuckleball pitcher at this stage of my career is like a hitter converting to a switch-hitter late in his career. The transition has a high degree of difficulty, and it’s still not fully complete, but I’m glad to be headed in this direction.”
* Sen. Barack Obama on baseball in Chicago: “I’m not one of these fair weather fans. You go to Wrigley Field, you have a beer, beautiful people up there. People aren’t watching the game. It’s not serious. White Sox, that’s baseball.”