26 unsigned Free Agents on Babe Ruth's Birthday
Babe Ruth, who never had trouble getting a job, would have been 113 years old today. Most players usually have jobs on Babe Ruth’s Birthday and this year Juan Gonzalez is actually employed. But the following are not:
1. Bartolo Colon - Apparently those medical reports are pretty bad.
2. Freddy Garcia - He won just one game last year but 17 in 2006.
3. Kyle Lohse - He started out looking for five years and $45 million. Wonder if he’ll even get a Major League contract.
4. Livan Hernandez - He was supposed to go to the New York Mets until they landed Johan Santana.
5. Jeff Weaver - He is 29-38 with a 5.24 ERA over the past three years.
6. Russ Ortiz - The Diamondbacks are still paying him but he is 7-22 with a 6.94 ERA since signing that four-year, $33 million contract three years ago.
7. David Wells - His agent says he still wants to pitch.
8. Roger Clemens – He seems a bit distracted right now.
9. Steve Trachsel – This guy won 15 games in 2006.
10. Kris Benson – Plus you get Anna too.
11. Brendan Donnelly – Not a good time to be on the Mitchell Report.
12. Armando Benitez – The Rangers looked at him and said no.
13. Shawn Chacon – This one is a little surprising considering he was 5-4 with a 3.94 ERA with the Pirates last year.
14. Byung-Hyun Kim – One of several Scott Boras clients still out there. Boras once tried to pass off Ron Villone as the greatest spot starter in Major League history.
15. Bob Wickman – He did have 20 saves last year.
17. 1b Ryan Klesko – A .401 slugging percentage is not a good thing if you are a first baseman.
18. 2B Todd Walker – This guy always seem to be able to hit a little bit but nobody wants to give a glove.
19. SS Royce Clayton – Here’s to a distant memory.
20. 3B Corie Koskie – Or Jeff Cirillo, Tony Batista, Mark Bellhorn, Eric Hinske.
21. OF Shannon Stewart – Thought this guy could still play a little bit.
22. OF Corey Patterson – He had no desire to come to Texas.
23. OF Trot Nixon - Still think he could help a National League team as a bench player.
24. OF Kevin Mench – You just knew the Rangers couldn’t resist inquiring.
25. Shawn Green – Remember him?
26. Sammy Sosa – You’d like to think he deserves better than this but nobody is guaranteed a job forever.