Monday Morning Manager…Guy Fawkes Day
Remember, remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot
I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot
Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, twas his intent
to blow up the King and Parliament
Three score barrels of powder below
Poor old England to overthrow
By God’s Providence he was catch’d
With a dark lantern and burning match
Guy Fawkes Night
While we are remembering the attempted overthrow of the English government, also struck by this:
The Rangers interviewed five for their manager’s job last year: Ron Washington, Manny Acta, John Russell, Trey Hillman and Don Wakamatsu. Four of those five are now managers.
2002: John Hart interviews five for the opening: Buck Showalter, DeMarlo Hale, Jim Fregosi, Buddy Bell and Terry Francona. Four of five were or became managers.
1994: Johnny Oates is hired unopposed.
1992: Kevin Kennedy wins over Rene Lachemann and Jerry Royster. Both Lachemann and Royster end up managing.
1982: Doug Rader hired over Bobby Valentine and Jim Leyland.
Just interesting all the guys that the Rangers didn’t hire. Also, in 1992, Lou Piniella was available.
1. Do you think the Rangers should go after Kerry Wood with the idea of making him a closer?
2. Could Francisco Cordero come back home and feel comfortable pitching at the Ballpark in Arlington.
3. Would you pay Sammy Sosa $7 million to be the Rangers designated hitter.
4. Who would you rather have on your team: Alex Rodriguez or Barry Bonds.
5. Hypothetical Trade Proposal of the Week: Would you do this: Edinson Volquez, Eric Hurley, Hank Blalock and Jarrod Saltalamacchia for either Johan Santana with the Twins or Miguel Cabrera of the Marlins